GERR!

GERR!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Carl Barks: Bombie the Zombie

There is a good Carl Barks story, "Voodoo Hoodoo," in Dell 's 1949 comic book "Donald Duck, Four Color #238. The story features Bombie the Zombie.

This is a photo-copy of a pencil sketch Barks did. Maybe it was a study for a print he did. The Sketch is quite different from this finished art, so I'm not sure of the relationship between the two. I can not find much about this finished art either. This scan, from the web search, appears to be of a print.

Acording to cbarks.dk, Barks had no dread of dying. The following few statements sum it up:
"I have no apprehension, no fear of death. I do not believe in an afterlife. I think of death as total peace. You're beyond the clutches of all those who would crush you.
Cemeteries and funerals are for the living. When I go out to visit Garé's grave, I can almost feel her presence, but to visualize what's really there - by now a bunch of bones in a coffin - I feel that's none of my business."

No comments: