GERR!

GERR!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

I usually re-read Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" at this time of year. Whenever I think I must have found every possible element in the story, I am surprised to find a new use of symbolism I had missed or a description that mirrors back to some other portion of the story. I am also pleased when I discover an illustrated versions of the original text that I have never seen. This year I found two such editions which I have never looked at.

David Levine is probably remembered best for his political caricatures and his distinctive black and white pen work. I had hoped to see more elaborate illustrations in this edition,The MacMillian Company, fifth edition 1966; but I still liked seeing a new interpretation of the familiar characters with his watercolors and pen and ink illustrations. It is also nice that he chose to include that "…more of the lurking devil…" look in Gunpowder's one good eye.

No comments: