GERR!

GERR!

Sunday, June 11, 2006


Alex Toth died a few weeks ago. He was one of the great comic book artists. I became aware of his work when I was a teenager in the 60's. It may have beeb in Creepy magazine. By then, his work was becomming difficult to find. Whenever I did run into his work, I was always delighted and surprised by his innovative composition and storytelling. His deceptively simple drawing had evolved from his view that storytelling is the most important function of comic art.

He moved between projects and companies often and was not really associated with any particular comic character. I think this Batman cover is a good representation of what he was tryting to achieve with his drawing - uncluttered, bold, dramatic.

More about him and his work can be found at the official Toth Fan web site.

No comments: