GERR!

GERR!

Friday, April 13, 2007

Doodles: Cowboy Hats


Over the last few months, I have been reading reprints of E.C. Segar's comic strip Thimble Theater. In the late 1920's, Thimble Theater was the newspaper strip which first introduced the world to the rough house, English mangling, but lovable, character of Popeye the Sailor. Cowboys and western motifs were very popular at that time. Many of Segar's story lines have a Western theme. I become fascinated with how Segar drew cowboy hats. I picked up and have been watching some old Saturday matinee cowboy movies on DVD. Amazingly, those matinee cowboys like Tim McCoy and Buck Jones wear the same style hats and outfits Segar was drawing - swooping, curved brimmed hats and stylishly tied bandannas.

I tend to doodle when I'm on the phone. Lately, cowboys and hats have been the theme of my mindless wanderings.




No comments: