GERR!

GERR!

Friday, January 25, 2008

John Severin from Creepy # 6

Warren Publishing's Creepy # 6 was a revelation to me. Until I saw this December 1965 magazine, I had been reading mostly superhero comics, with an assortment of other genres like science fiction, westerns, war and humor. I had never even realized there were horror comic books.

The list of artists from this issue is a roster of future hall of fame greats. The variety of styles and illustration techniques were a real eye opener for me. Reed Crandall, Frank Frazetta, Roy Krenkel, Al McWilliams, Gray Morrow, Joe Orlando, John Severin, Angelo Torres, Alex Toth, and Al Williamson all did art for this issue. I had found something much more interesting than the marvel and DC superheroes.

Here is the John Severin story, written by Bill Pearson from the magazine. Enjoy another wintry tale!

© Warren Publishing Co. 1965




1 comment:

TikiKris said...

There is something familiar about that story, particularly the creepy narrator dude. Let's see, I was a year old when it came out. Maybe I found it in the attic several years after it was published? I can still recall the aroma of those old comic books...