GERR!

GERR!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Night Before Christmas, Little Golden Book

I think that anyone who celebrated Christmas as a child may have had this book. Little Golden Books were put out by Western Publishing Company - the same company that published tons of comic books.

The edition I have is the 35th printing and is © Western Publishing 1979. I wonder when their first edition was published? If you assume that a new edition was printed each year for 35 years, that would make the first edition from around 1944. I also found something that the 1949 edition had printed on the title page which is missing from the 1979 edition I own. It is always good to see the hard work of the artist acknowledged, something often neglected by mass market publishers.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I don't remember owning this book, but the illustrations are very familiar. I especially like that little Wendy Tsai drew a floating apparition on the last page...wonder who it is?

Anonymous said...

I've looked all over for this book. Brings back a lot of memories. Thank you for sharing (just printed the whole thing) :)