GERR!

GERR!

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Pumpkin Patch 2009

With seven and a half weeks until Halloween, I harvested my first batch of pumpkins this afternoon. The stems on these beauties were dry, so I thought I should store them in a cool dry place. There are another 8 or 9 pumpkin that still have green stems or were not quite all orange yet, so I left them to ripen further.

There was one more pumpkin that didn't make it to the table. As I was picking the pumpkins and lining them up at the edge of the garden, I could hear a small noise above and to the right of me. I noticed a woman at a window of the apartment building next to mine. Within a few minutes a small child joined the woman at the window. I waved and they waved back. I remember them watching me as I planted my garden back in the Spring. I picked out a very nice symmetrical medium sized pumpkin and pointed to it. They smiled and nodded The woman came down and to the fence with a big grin and a thank you. I passed over the pumpkin to her. There is something about pumpkins that makes people smile.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Some cool results pop up after googling "pumpking smile"