GERR!

GERR!

Friday, October 08, 2010

Danny Murtaugh

With October's post-baseball season in full swing, I was thinking about the first baseball manager I was aware of, Danny Murtaugh.

I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly, but the Pittsburgh Pirate teams he managed during the 5o's-70's. always seemed to get the bunt down, hit a sacrifice fly with less than 2 outs and a man on third, etc, etc. Listening to the SF Giants this year, those little journeyman jobs in baseball could have really help them win more games. I am very surprised that they won their division this year and I wonder how far they will get in the playoff with their inconsistencies and inability to do those small things.

It was a surprise to see that Murtaugh's birthday is today. There aren't many great baseball faces like his any more.

No comments: