GERR!

GERR!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Swamp of the Living Dead

I'm sure a lot of people remember the joy of going to the newsstands to look at the new comics and paperback books when they arrived. I bought a lot of books just for the cover art. The great covers from Ace Books ,from back in the 1960's, were some of the best. As I remember, they didn't publish horror but stayed with the genres of Science fiction and fantasy; so I thought I would try to catch the feeling of one of their old worn paperback book covers in a Halloween zombie themed digital painting.

I have not read much horror literature. It is much more fun to draw it than read it. Maybe, that is why I like horror comics, they are mostly art with only enough writing to add more interest.

For those who might be interested to see a little bit of the process in making this, and a couple other digital pieces I will be posting here, visit the forum here.

12 comments:

emilayusof said...

wow! this is excellent! your header represents this week's 'spooky' challenge as well.

Uncle Ernie said...

Thank you! Your post for this theme represents a moment from everyone's childhood.

Juan Carlos Partidas said...

Amazing illustration. Congratulations Uncle Ernie. :)

Juan said...

What a powerful image!

k.h.whitaker said...

excellent header!

k.h.whitaker said...

Love the comic book cover too, great work. My son is making me bookmark your blog so he can go back to it later.

Uncle Ernie said...

It is always good to hear that there is a new generation of monster lovers out there.

AdamFF said...

I am always really impressed with this style of presentation since I havent a clue when it comes to graphic design/layout. The digiatl painting is very cool too, the lighting and colour are both very well handled. Keep up the great work!

Adam Foster-Fahy
www.AdamFF.com

Uncle Ernie said...

Thanks Adam. Knowing some graphic design has become a must, even for illustrators.

Beware The Black Rabbit said...

Groovy!

Anonymous said...

Spooky. Creepy and Eerie too.

Anonymous said...

Spooky. Creepy and Eerie too.