GERR!

GERR!

Monday, August 07, 2006

• Because I was looking at Boris Gogos' work yesterday, I thought I would try coloring one of my digital relief images as if it were a Gogos. This is a caricature (I call it a caricature because I have amplified and exaggerated the features a bit.) of H.P. Lovecraft that I colored in photoshop by building up transparent layers of color with the pencil tool. It was a lot of fun and I think I am just beginning to understand the play of cool to hot colors on the face.

When I did traditional printmaking it was the blacks that I could achieve from intaglio that won me over. A digital black seems just as dark as those rich intaglio inks did on paper. These digital colors on the screen are so luminous that I could easily fall in love with color too.

No comments: